Tuesday, December 10, 2019

2020: Heading overseas


Hi everyone, and welcome back to Too Many Books to Count! I’m so glad you stopped by! I personally feel a bit like I’m caught in limbo between the chaos of Thanksgiving (for which my aunt, uncle, and their four children were visiting), and the insanity that always is the amount of things I have to get done right before Christmas… so it’s nice to sit down and write a blog post, look to the future, and think about things that I’m looking forward to, in the year to come.

If you’ll recall, for the next two weeks we’ll be talking about things I’m planning on doing, or things that I want to do or have "resolved" to do, in 2020. They’re not resolutions, per se, because I don’t really make resolutions. But they’re things that I’m looking forward to and planning on, when it comes to 2020, and they’re things that I wanted to share with all of you before 2020 gets here. Because sometimes it’s better to think about the new year before it gets here ;-)

2020: Heading overseas


If you’ve been around with Too Many Books to Count for a long enough time, then you’ll remember I went to Europe for the first time in 2016, with my mum. Well, in 2020, we’re going back!

I think, if I’m being perfectly honest, this is the thing I’m most looking forward to (maybe?), when it comes to next year. It’s something we’ve been passively planning for a couple years now, and we’re finally less than a year away from making it a reality.

I’m slightly on the fence, when it comes to talking about it. Partially because we’ve only been passively planning it, and so we don’t really know where all we’ll be going, as of yet. But I did want to share with you a little bit of our planning practices, and tell you a bit of why Europe calls to me, as much as it does.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the United States. I think it would be amazing to have a house in the United Kingdom, but I don’t know that I honestly see myself living full time outside the US. But, my family is very British. My dad isn’t from the US, but immigrated here legally when I was a little girl. He still speaks with a slight British accent, though he was pretty sure he’d lost it by now, and he brought with him a great deal of British practices. Is he from England? No. His family is of Indian descent. But if you know your history and geography, you know how those two go together.

Going to Europe, or going to the British Isles as we’re planning on doing next year, is a bit like seeing the world that my dad knew, when he used to travel. Visiting the United Kingdom, seeing places in England, Scotland, even Northern Ireland, is like seeing the land from which so many of my family’s customs have come. It’s also really, really fun to see so many places in person, that I’ve seen so often on television (what? I like British tv).

My mum and I love to travel. We always have, and we probably always will, and we’re very set in the fact that we fully intend to travel together, overseas, as often as we can. Next year is going to be a great trip—and it’s not even twelve months before we hit the road.


What about you? Are you planning any trips or vacations, in 2020? Wanderlust minds want to know! ;-)

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment