Thursday, November 15, 2018

Power On


Hey guys, and welcome back to Too Many Books to Count! I’m glad you stopped in to see what we’re chatting about today. If you read Tuesdays post, you’ll probably find this one amusing.

See, all month long we’re talking about ways to get in the zone with your writing. Ways to stop yourself from being distracted. Ways to keep yourself writing and prevent yourself from doing whatever else. So, so far, we’ve started listening to ASMR videos, we’ve found the soundtracks to our writing, and we’ve turned the television off.

Now, let’s turn it back on.

#4: Watch Something You’ve Seen a Million Times


I know, I know, I literally just told you to turn the thing off. But there are some times when we really need it on. And I know that a lot of you will actually disagree with me here, but if you do, then that’s okay. This post probably isn’t for you.

Some of us, me included, occasionally write better when we have something on in the background—as long as that something is something we’ve seen a million times before, and therefore don’t have to pay attention to.

For me, this is one of two things. Stargate or The Village. Why? Because I’ve seen them a lot, I love them, but I don’t have to pay attention to know what’s going on in that story. Which means I can do my own thing while it’s on, and it’s not a big deal.

I’m honestly not sure why this works, or what it is about just having something on in the background, but for some of us, at certain times, it’s just amazing.


There are times, especially when I’ve been insanely busy and have been pounding out more words than usual, that I just need to have a little bit of a distraction, but one I know I can ignore in a couple minutes. In those times, if I put Stargate on, I know there will be times when I want to look up and see what’s going on, to be a part of this specific scene, but that in two more minutes I can look back at my work and get back to it.

It’s brilliant. It’s amazing. And especially during NaNoWriMo, I think it might be extremely helpful for all of you.


So try it out. But only if you’re the type of person who can handle a little bit of a distraction, because, if you’re not, this will only make your life more difficult.

Trust me. I know. Because I’m both kinds of people. Yep.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment