Monday, December 5, 2016

I want a...



Oh sheesh, it’s December… I suppose that means most of you are scrambling to figure out what presents to get for your loved ones. 

Me? I’m already done with all that. Everything’s even wrapped and under the tree! But I’m an early bird, and this series is designed for the rest of you. And since I know not all of you will actually be giving out every last present before the end of the month (me and my bestie often exchange gifts at the New Year), it’ll go through the whole month!

What on earth should I get a writer for Christmas?!


Yup. That’s our topic. I’ve thought of nine things you could (or maybe should) get for the writers in your life. We’re really not that hard to shop for, when you think about it. Or maybe it’s that I’m a writer, and I know what we like.

Today’s item:

Writing Utensils


Yeah, that one probably seems obvious, but that’s why I did it as number one. See, no one ever thinks of the cooler writing utensils. They think “oh, but we all write on computers now, so what’s the point?” or “but my friend only uses this kind of pen,” when really, we should be thinking of different writing utensils.

So here are three great options of writing utensils, all of which I would be glad to receive:

Pens with red ink


Yes, this one is the most boring option. But it's also the one we're most likely to use. We all dreaded them in school, but as writers, it’s one of the things we need most often. Once we’ve gotten our first draft down, we always have to go back and cut out a lot of what we just wrote, make changes, edit for clarity—and that begins with red ink. A lot of us prefer to print out our work and go through it by hand, which is where these pens really come in handy. Personally, I prefer Sharpie Pens, but I’d be content with most any red inked pen.

Quill/Dip/Calligraphy Pens


Many of us, if not most of us, do occasionally write by hand. These pens help to facilitate that. They allow us to play with fonts by hand, to get our hands messy with a bottle of ink, to see what it would’ve been like to write way back in the day. Even if we don’t use them, they’re a great inspiration for us just to own. I have a couple dip and calligraphy pens, and I primarily use them as display items, but in those times when I need inspiration, they do come in handy. Include a bottle or two of ink, and we'll be even happier!

Fountain Pens


Lastly, every writer needs a fountain pen. Though really, I think every person needs a fountain pen. It conforms to the way you write, so once you’ve used it enough your nib will only be usable by you. Trust me. I hold my hand weirdly when I write and no one else in my family can use my fountain pens. If you’re looking for a good brand to check out, I was recently gifted a Graf von Faber-Castell, and it’s spectacular. Monte Blanc is as well. Of course, those are the higher end of fountain pens, and much of what you’ll find on Amazon are decent options. Just read the reviews and trust your judgment. And don't forget to pick up a bottle of ink as well.


And those are my three top writing utensils for writers. They’re all ones that I use not infrequently, if only to look at and admire, and I can tell you I was utterly thrilled when I received each of them, because yes, they were all gifts.

Isn’t Christmas great?

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment