Friday, December 16, 2016

Bulk



Out of all the things I've picked to write about for this series, this is the one I really like people to get me, and the one I also really enjoy giving. 

It's also the one that will cost you a little more. But it’ll be worth it in the long run, I swear. It’s something that we all hope for, that we writers all imagine will happen someday, and on the rare occasions that someone actually does it, our hearts soar.

Buy their book, in bulk, and give copies to everyone you know (whether they read or not).


I’ve actually gotten to do this for some of my friends, and you should’ve seen the looks on their faces! I so enjoy doing this, especially for new writers who have only just gotten their work on the market. Which, honestly, is what most of us are these days. We’re all newbies, and we all need some support.

That’s what this is all about.

Writers all daydream about someone coming to an event of ours, buying a dozen books, and having them signed for different people. It means that this person really liked our book, that they liked it enough that they’re going to give it as a gift to as many people as they can.

How cool is that?

We’ve all thought about it, about some person with moneybags coming in and buying every last copy we have. But you don’t have to be that. You can buy three copies, buy five, buy as many as you can, and give them away to friends and family of yours, people who don’t reach your writer friend’s circle of influence. People who wouldn’t even know who this writer was, if it weren’t for you. Talk the book up, mention how awesome it is that you know this person, this soon-to-be-famous writer (even if none of us think we’ll ever be famous).

Make us feel like a star. That’s what buying in bulk does. We feel awesome when it happens, and we hold onto that feeling as long as we possibly can. Wouldn’t you like to be the person who makes us feel that way, who shows us that we’re so cool that someone would actually come to an event of ours and ask for five copies of our book, to give away?

I do. It’s so much fun, I swear. I know I’m a weeper, but I really end up in tears seeing the pure joy on a writer’s face, when I come over with a hundred dollars and ask how many copies I can get with this one bill.

It’s awesome.

And it’d make an epic Christmas present.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

P.S. For those of you who are poets, writers, and artists, don't forget that the Mavguard submissions window closes soon! You only have until the end of the month to get your work in, so head to www.MavguardMagazine.com NOW! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment