Saturday, December 24, 2016

Venues



Well, apparently yesterday was Friday... and nobody told me that. So this morning, I'm finally posting what I meant to post yesterday. Because today is Saturday, and yesterday was Friday. But it felt like Saturday. 

Oops. 

The final gift idea I’ve selected for you, on this now last day before your time is up for shopping, is one that a lot of writers don’t even think of considering.

Other Creativity Venues


What does that mean? Well, it means a lot of things, and gives you a lot of options.

Basically, find us some other creative outlet we can explore, for the times when we might be in research mode, editing mode, or just don’t feel like writing. That does happen from time to time, you know.

Maybe that means you get us some painting supplies, a coloring book and markers, or take us to one of those wine and painting nights. Maybe it’s getting us calligraphy supplies, inks and pens we can play with in our spare time. Just try to find something that’s creative, something where we might be able to get our hands dirty and play around with something new.

I’ll use me as an example. I know me pretty well, you know.

I both paint and draw, though I just started on the drawing side of things. Painting I did a lot in high school, nearly entirely abstracts, but in drawing I like to achieve a little more realism. I also have a few coloring books, some markers, and colored pencils. Do I use them all the time? No. My main focus is on writing. But by exploring these other venues, I open my mind up more and more in the world of writing. Writers like to do stuff like that.

So try it. Go to Hobby Lobby or Michael’s and see what you can find. If your writer friend likes to bake, maybe get them some supplies for cake decorating. If they like photography, find an accessory they don’t yet have for their camera. Or if they’re like me and they draw or paint, get them some new supplies they might not have yet.

All of these are things that your writer friend will absolutely enjoy. It shows that you thought about us and the things we like to do outside of writing (even though we probably very rarely if ever speak about those sorts of things). And that’s pretty darn cool, in my eyes.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


I hope you got some great gifts for all your family and friends out there, and that you get some awesome things yourself. Nothing’s more fun than giving!

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment