Friday, December 30, 2016

The Last Day


Oh my goodness tomorrow is the last day of the year. How on earth did that happen? Seriously. Someone please tell me. Last I knew it was September and I was just leaving for Europe. Can we go back in time and do that over again? I really enjoyed that trip, man…

And like that, I’m off track.

Okay, so there’s one more thing that causes a lot of artists and authors to freak out and not want to submit anything for publication, and that's what we're going to talk about today: 

The selection process.


Reading is the easy part. That takes a few days. But the next part can take a while, for the RAD Editors and Mavguard volunteers to debate which works are going to make it into the next edition. I know, even thinking about someone deliberating over my work can just be insane. For me, that's always the hardest part.

That’s why I’m writing this.

This is the one part of the process where we really can’t tell you what’s going on. We can’t say when we’re discussing your work, because we don’t want you to try to sway us. But I can tell you that we’re usually agreed from the beginning on what will be going in the magazine. We know good work when we see it, and most of us have the same preferences when it comes to what we'd like to see published.

And really, it only takes us about two weeks to decipher everything. Trouble is that we have to find a time when all of us can get together to state our case for every single piece, and that can take a while. Our volunteers all have day jobs, you know.

But we promise that we’ll get back to you as soon as we possibly can!

I’m the one who sends out the submissions responses, the one who’ll talk to you at this point if you have any questions. And if your work isn’t accepted, I’ll be the one to write your rejection letter. I’ll tell you specifically why your work wasn’t chosen, and I’ll let you know what needs to be done to fix it. I’ll even help you with it, if you want. And this only happens if the changes are significant enough to be beyond what our team can do in a short period of time.

Most of the time, if you send in five submissions, we’ll publish at least one of them. At least, that’s statistically been the case.

And it’s pretty great, because even one thing published is better than nothing published, isn’t it?

Woo!

Tomorrow is your last day, so head over to www.MavguardMagazine.com NOW to send in your work!


[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment