Monday, January 11, 2016

#3

Last week, we started talking about resolutions for writers. This week, I'm focusing on one specific type of resolution, that every writer needs to make: reading.


Resolution #3: Read, Every Day

 



(The inside of my bookshelf... and yes, those are Star Trek TNG pez, a Doctor Who mug, Firefly playing cards, and a chocolate penguin. Move along.)



Reading is one of the things writers talk about all the time. I've yet to meet a writer who says reading isn't important. After all, if we don't read, how are we supposed to expect other people to read what we wrote? It's a two way street, my friends.

But it's not exactly easy to make sure we read every day. I know that all too well.

However, I have come up with a few things to help you out this year, as you're maintaining your resolve to keep reading.


1. Read what you like


Make sense, doesn't it? If you read things you like, you're more likely to finish them. So for starting out, just read stuff that you know you like. Even if that means re-reading some of your old favorites, make sure you're reading.

Personally, if I find myself stuck and not wanting to read anything at all, I pick up something I haven't read in years, but something I know I enjoyed when I first read it. Usually, that means something by Ted Dekker, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, or Shakespeare. An interesting combination, but something that keeps me going when I really don't feel like reading anymore.


2. Don't be afraid to put the book down


This is something a lot of writers and readers alike struggle with. If you don't like the book, if there's something keeping you from finishing it, put it down. There's nothing wrong with not liking a book, even if it is a classic that everyone else you know adores. You're a different person, and you're entitled to your own opinions. If you don't like it, stop reading it and find something you actually like, something you'll enjoy.

Some of those books in my shelf, have only been read to page four, because I disliked them so much. Looking at you, Helprin. Looking at you. 


3. Five pages


This is what I tell myself on days when I feel like I don't have time to read. "I'll just read five pages." That way, I'm at least reading. There's something getting into my head, even if it's five pages of monotony in the middle of a book I've read a thousand times before. It'll get you through the book eventually, because even a little bit, even five pages a day, is forward progress.

And some days it'll get you to read a little longer, because really, you can't always stop at five pages.



Whatever it takes, just make sure you're reading. Don't give up on it. It'll teach you as much as you'll enjoy it, as long as you do it right. ;-)

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment