Wednesday, February 4, 2015

We No Procrastinate

Well, that title is probably a lie.

In one way or another, I believe everyone procrastinates. Even if you don't think you do, you probably do a little bit.

The difference is in whether you productively procrastinate or unproductively procrastinate.

For example, the other day Ms. Deanna Leah was picking on me for procrastinating my way out of writing a scene in my latest novel endeavor. Thing is, I was procrastinating from writing by working on some editing that I needed to do for Mavguard Magazine.

I was still getting things done, but it wasn't the things I was supposed to be doing.

That's the key to good procrastination.

See, I don't generally let myself sit still and do nothing. I prefer to always be doing something, to always be productive in one way or another.

To that end, when I simply don't want to do anything at all, I sit down and plan.

Planning is productive too, you know.



So, just for funsies, here's six things I do to productively procrastinate, six things that I use to keep my brain in shape while the rest of me wants to do nothing more than sit and do nothing:

1. Make that plan


Yeah, this can also be a good way to avoid procrastination, if you can actually stick to your plan. But I tend to make looooooooong plans while I'm procrastinating, to plan out the rest of my day. Productive, and yet I'm not really doing anything at all and I tend to throw the plan out the window.

At least it had me thinking, and I wasn't entirely stagnant.

2. Do something fun that needs to be done


This does not include chores, work, or watching videos on YouTube.

Nobody needs to watch random videos. Work is what we're trying to avoid. Chores can always wait a few more hours.

I'm talking about fun busy work, like editing for the magazine. (yes, I know, I'm weird)

3. Alphabetize 


I think today we've already established that I'm a kook, so we'll just leave this one be.

4. Read


This counts as procrastination only when you have a book to read that you haven't promised you were going to read. Thankfully for me, I have about a dozen books I'm supposed to read. So it's not really procrastinating, is it?

5. Get ahead of the curve


I'm sure you're wondering how this is possible while procrastinating, and I'll tell you.

Scroll down Facebook. Keep scrolling. Anything that you think might be interesting or useful later on, open it in a separate tab.

There you have it, a grouping of various random articles that can be shared with your fanbase while you're procrastinating.

6. Lastly, get up off your hiney


Why are we even procrastinating in the first place?


I hope, at the very least, that this gave you a chuckle. (I know it did for me)

[love and giggles]

{Rani D}

No comments:

Post a Comment