Thursday, October 4, 2018

Selkie


Hey everyone! Welcome back to Too Many Books to Count! I’m glad you came by. I’m happy to have you :)

This month, we’re talking about myths, legends, and themes that are so beloved in writing that we authors can easily take them, tweak them, and make them into amazing new works of fiction. We’re not rewriting tales here, however! We’re writing whole new stories, based on things everyone knows and loves. And why? Because everyone already knows and loves them, so we won’t have to suspend their disbelief. They already know to believe.

Today? Another of my favorites.

Selkies and Mermaids


Okay, so mermaids have been insanely popular over the past couple years, and selkies are on the rise, but I really think selkies never got their fair share of the attention. Selkies are cooler. I love selkies. I’ve written many a short story about them (one of which may have been published in Mavguard), and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

And that’s exactly why mermaids and selkies are one of those themes writers can easily take and transform into a new dimension, a new form, to make an incredible new story.

I may have already done this, and it might be one of my favorite books I’ve published. (Its name is Dwr: People in the Water, and it’s available at RAD Writing, Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, if you’re interested)

See, the people who love mermaids love mermaids. They’re fanatical about mermaids. And literally everyone knows what a mermaid is. So why not use that to your advantage?


For me, it was an easy step for the Druid Novels. I needed a species of Dewin that lived underwater, so, why not make a being that’s similar to a mermaid, but very much not a mermaid at all? That’s precisely what I did, and I’ve heard nothing but good things from the people who’ve read it.

That’s why I brought this one up today. It’s one of those topics that writers use frequently, yes, but with good reason. Everyone knows what mermaids are, everyone had at one point in their lives wondered if mermaids exist, so having a character that’s a mermaid isn’t a far stretch for anyone to believe.

That’s half your work done right there. The rest is down to the story, and that’s all you.

You’ve got this.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment