Wednesday, January 13, 2016

#4

Okay, so today I had a problem. This is an actual resolution I made for myself, but it's not very snappy sounding... In fact, it feels a little wordy. 

Resolution #4: Read Things You Wouldn't Normally Read



(Some of the better books I've picked up from this resolution, from the books that aren't currently in storage)


Two days ago I told you to read stuff you like. That still stands. It doesn't change just because you'll also be reading people you've never heard of before. In fact, it only gets stronger. A lot of books I pick up, I don't actually like. Therefore, I put them back down.

But, it's important, in my mind, to read stuff that I wouldn't normally consider reading. It broadens my horizons, and I end up learning a thing or two.

I do, of course, have a few ways to keep myself involved:


1. Country


There aren't a ton of extremely foreign, translated, books in the US. But from what I've noticed, a lot of them are actually really good. Maybe we're just picky with translating things. Who knows.

So, to start out, try something familiar but by an author who isn't from here. If you can't stomach going too far out, read some of the more recent British fiction. I took a class on that in college, and while a lot of it was weird, it was very well written.

2. Setting


This one took a lot of stretching for me. I know what I like, and I know what type of setting I actually want to read. I like science fiction, I like fantasy, I don't like modern normal life stories. I just don't. But it's been a good way to stretch my knowledge of writing, to get me to a place where I feel like I could write something in a modern setting, just by reading the stories.

So, try reading something that takes place in a world you wouldn't normally read. For me, it means I read a lot of stuff set in the way back whens, because I normally prefer a future setting.

3. Genre


I like science fiction. That's no surprise to anyone here, I trust. But whenever I pick up a book to read, I tend to avoid sci-fi. That's not to say that I don't read some science fiction here and there, but I do try to keep myself focused on the other stuff.

If you're like me and you normally read science fiction, try mysteries. If you like nonfiction, try fiction. If horror is your preference, try romance. Just try it. If you don't like it, put it down and try something else.


On a side note, this is why I like actual bookstores. This way you can physically pick up the book and read a couple pages before you devote your wallet to it.


I hope this helps you guys in finding some new authors, some new works to stretch your horizons.

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment