Monday, March 16, 2015

Truth-Fact

Okay, nobody start yelling at me when you read this.

Just hear me out.

You don't have to like (or be good at) grammar to be a writer.


(read the sarcasm in the meme, please :-) )

Now nobody start getting testy on me. I have my reasons for saying that, and I'm about to explain them. Read to the end and maybe you'll side with me, eh? 

You never know until you try. *wink*

Three reasons why I believe you don't have to like (or be good at) grammar to be a writer: 

1. Grammar doesn't really matter in the long run


Nobody mob me. Please. Just think about it. Think about how often people actually use proper grammar in their speaking. Now remember that a lot of what you're writing is trying to mirror actual life. 

Put two and two together, and voila! Bad grammar = ... well, equals kinda sad standards for spoken English, but decent writing nonetheless.

2. Editors fix your grammar


Well, this is obvious. 

A lot of popular writers actually do have bad grammar -- but you'll never know, because the editors polish their work until it shines. That's the truth of the matter, right there. Editors make our work look better. It's what we pay them for. (sometimes it's also why we hate them, because the process can be painful)

3. Not every story needs good grammar


Do you have any idea how many famous people published works with terrible grammar? Works that were praised as being great literature? 

I don't either -- that's how many there are. I can't even count off the top of my head, how many authors became famous off the terrible grammar they published for the world to read. 

Yes, it'll depend on the context of your story and the depth of your characters, but if you write it properly -- bad grammar or not -- people will read it, they'll like it, and they'll follow you for it. After all, if you like it, then someone else will like it to. That's the way the world works. We're never really alone, even when we think we are. 


Besides, you'll never know until you try. Why not give it a whirl, bad grammar and all? 

I believe in you. Always have, always will. 

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment