Friday, March 20, 2015

Tips of the trade

All right, so maybe you've read all my posts this week and thought to yourself...

How do I get better at grammar? 


After all, some writing styles do require high levels of grammar. If it's something you feel you need to learn, read on! If you don't, well, then I trust I'll see you back here Monday. *wink*



That meme had nothing to do with anything, it was just too cute and... cookie monster, c'mon!


Three ways to improve your grammar:

1. Write. A lot. 


Why? Because it will help you to figure out your own style, and you'll know what you need to improve upon when you go back and read your work.

2. Read. A lot. 


This was the biggest one for me, personally. Whenever I feel like I'm slacking and not using my grammar the way I'm supposed to be, I read. Usually I'll go to authors like Ted Dekker or Michael Crichton, because I know both of them are very clean in their writing and they both have similar styles to a lot of the work I do.

That's what you'll want to do.

Read authors who are at least somewhat similar to you, or who are inspiring to you. Read Shakespeare if that's what you really like -- but don't expect him to be able to help you with your modern grammar rules *wink*

3. Study. A lot. 


Yeah, I know. It's the kicker, and the one thing most people don't like to do. But it's what you'll have to do if you want to get better. Buy some grammar books, and in about a quarter of your designated reading time, sit down and read those. We don't care about the names of the terms, we just care that you know what you're doing.

Unless you want to be an English teacher. But that's a whole other ball game.


I hope this was helpful! If you need some ideas of good authors to read, hit me up and I'll give you some suggestions!

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment