Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Rani’s Favorite People: Like no other


Hi everyone, and welcome back to Too Many Books to Count! I’m so glad you stopped by. This week, if you’ll have looked at a calendar, is the last week of our series! Which means it’s the last week of my birthday month… which is a little sad, but also means that we’re one step closer to Autumn, which makes me happy. Summer is just too hot, all around.

All month long, we’ve been talking about some of my favorite things, all through the lens of my writing. We’ve discussed everything from my favorite books to my favorite games, all while talking about how those things have impacted my life as a writer—and impacted my writing as a whole. And this week, I’ve come to the most important ones.

Rani’s Favorite People: My mum


There always people out there who greatly impact or inspire our writing. Always. We, as writers, pull inspiration from everything around us. We even pull that inspiration from people, whether that means writing those people into our stories or allowing those people to inspire us and help us along the way, in our writing career.

For me, the number one person I get my inspiration from is my mother. She’s my best friend, and she has been for years. She’s the person I go to when I’ve written a great scene and I need to tell someone about it, or when it’s taken me two weeks to write a scene and it finally came out the way I wanted it to. She’s the person who’s celebrated with me when I’ve finished a novel, and the person who cried with me when I finished a series. She’s the person who asks about my writing, even when no one else thinks to do so. And she’s the person I love to go to, with my writing ideas.


I think we all need a person like this. We all need someone we can talk to about our writing, someone we can open up to about every little thing about our writing. We need a person who inspires us to write amazing things, only to see that person’s eyes light up when they finally get to read those amazing things. We need a person who loves our writing as much as we do, and who’s always ready to talk about it, no matter what.

My mum is the person I spend the most time with. She’s the person I first went on an overseas trip with, and the person I’ll be going with next time. She’s the person I first want to share with, when I’ve written something new or come up with a new idea I think might translate well into novel form. She’s… well. She’s my best friend. And we all need one of those, don’t we?

So when I was writing a list of my favorite things, I knew she had to be on it. I knew she needed to be one of the very last things I talked about, because she’s I always save the best for last.

I know a lot of people don’t have this kind of relationship with their mothers. I know a lot of people wish their mothers were still around, so they could have this type of relationship. And I know a lot of people never knew their mother, and so they’ll never know this sort of relationship. But that only makes me gladder, that I do know my mother. That she’s my very best of friends. And that she always will be.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment