Monday, June 13, 2016

Sci-Fi, Part 1


In the last two weeks, we’ve discussed both Creative Nonfiction and Fiction, as well as how they should or should not be used. But in case you hadn’t noticed, neither of those genres are my forte. Actually, I’m most fond of the genre we’re talking about this week. Although the Druid novels don’t actually fit into this genre, the books I’m working on right now, the Earth-Space Series, do. And they’re some of my favorites.

Don’t worry, I still have a soft spot for Druids, and there’s still a lot left for you to see of them.


Science-Fiction



The genre is most basically defined as speculative fiction, and deals with imaginative or science-y concepts of technology, space or time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and even aliens.

This girl gets very happy when we talk about science-fiction.

Very. Very happy.

See, science fiction is a really fun genre when you want to explore, when you want to write about things you don’t know. Both fiction and creative nonfiction deal with things that you know intimately well, while sci-fi contains a lot more speculation. We’re completely allowed to make stuff up, blow stuff up, and blow your minds in the process. All with science, if you know at least a little bit of what you’re doing. Mythbusters helps with the explosion stuff, if you need any assistance.

For me, science fiction is probably the most fun genre in terms of both writing and reading. Though I split my time pretty evenly between it and fantasy (which is technically a subgenre of science-fiction, which we’ll discuss at a later date), I definitely have the most fun with my sci-fi work.

As a genre, it’s composed of creative people who want to have creative fun doing creative things in a world where that’s allowed. We get to play around, to make up designs for crafts, to design our own alien races, anything and everything within reach is up for grabs.

For some of you, that’s not fun.

For me, that’s bliss.

Check back in on Wednesday to find out my top three things to never do with sci-fi!

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment