Monday, May 16, 2016

YOLO

This phrase... *shakes head*

I won't lie to you here. You know that. I maintain honesty with you, because I trust you and I know you'll only judge me a little bit for whatever I tell you. So here, I want to tell you what I think about this phrase that has recently popped up in popular culture, this phrase that has been around for a very long time but only recently came back into swing as the new big thing.

YOLO


No. Please. Just stop.

It stands for "You Only Live Once," and it's a phrase to perpetuate recklessness. Most people don't think of it that way, but really, that's what it is. It stands to say that you can do whatever you want, because you only live once, so you better do it now while you can.

Problem is, there are some things that should never be done, and perpetuating this YOLO lifestyle only makes them happen more often.

I can guarantee you that there are criminals out there who use this phrase as their excuse for doing what they do, for going out and hurting people every chance they get.

I'm not saying that everyone is that way. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I like to think that most people use YOLO in a good way, to push themselves to do things that they wouldn't normally even consider doing. It can be used in a good way, in that point of view. But there's a very fine line in this case between the good and the bad, and that line gets blurred more often than it should.

Saying that You Only Live Once is like saying that you should be as reckless as you possibly can be here on Earth, because you don't know how long you're going to have.

To me, however, it sounds like you'd like to shorten that amount of time.

YOLO in itself isn't a bad phrase. I prefer it unabbreviated, personally, but that's just my preference.

This phrase can be used to get people off their butts and in a position to make a change for good in this world.

But it can also be the phrase that puts foolish people in the hospital.

So what I want to tell you here is to get some wisdom before following on the You Only Live Once bandwagon. Make sure you know what you're really capable of doing and what you really want to do with your life, because no one else can dictate that for you. You know you better than anyone else knows you, and you know what you can do.

You Only Live Once on this Earth, so make the best of it. That doesn't mean following the YOLO train and getting yourself in trouble.

Wisdom, people. Wisdom.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment