Monday, June 29, 2015

Sticky

Today's one of those in between times, where it's not a new month so I don't want to start a new series, but the previous series is already over... Which gives me just enough time to tell you about one of my favorite writerly organizational tools.

Sticky Notes




If you'll recall, I've posted this picture online before. As you can see, I have very many notes on my desktop, reminding me what needs to be done, ideas I've had, or some such other information. What you don't see is that there are actually far more notes than meets the eye. I've stacked them -- many of them -- and some are even hiding completely behind others, because I don't need them right now.

And that's what I'm here to tell you.

Especially for writers, it's of vast importance to maintain organization. If your personal life is sloppy, chances are your writing will be too. Sad to say, but it's true.

So here I offer you four reasons to use sticky notes and keep your life a little more organized:

1. It works like a checklist


 So when you finish something that's written on a note, you get to close it. It's a very satisfying feeling, getting to hit that little X because the task has been completed. It may not sound like it, but just wait until you give it a try.

2. They're difficult to forget or ignore


Especially if you're like me and you have a dark wallpaper on your desktop, having brightly colored sticky notes means I have a really hard time looking away from them. They're just sitting there staring at me all day long, and I literally cannot ignore them. I must do what's written there so I can make them go away.

Have I ever closed all of them? Well that's another story entirely.

3. You can have as many as you need


 Since they're on your desktop and not on your desk, it hardly matters how many you have out there. And if you're worried about people peeking over your shoulder and seeing the rainbow that is your screen, you can make them disappear whenever someone else is around.

Brilliant.

4. It's a good place to store those pesky side ideas


For most of us writers, we don't just have one idea at a time. We have several. And sometimes we can't entertain one, because we're so focused on another. So, write a little reminder to yourself on a sticky note, and as soon as you have time to come back to it, it'll be waiting for you.


How do you guys use your sticky notes? Let me know in the comments!

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment