Thursday, June 7, 2018

Summer Reading


Hey guys! How’re your weeks going? I hope everything’s well. Me, I’m still trying to catch up on sleep after a week of nothing but wedding chaos. But hey, I know how to make fondant flowers and I can decorate a buttercream cake. Woo.

This week, as you know, we’re talking about reading. I’ve admitted that I have to force myself to read, and I’ve gotten over the fact that I had to admit to it. So now, I have something more fun to discuss.

What have you been reading lately?


Let’s talk about some of the things I’ve been reading…

1. Timeline, Michael Crichton
This book had been in my to-read pile for a few years (far longer than it should’ve sat there, considering how much I enjoy Crichton). I honestly don’t know why it took me that long to pick it up and read it, because it really was amazing. Please note, I also haven’t seen the movie. Actually had no idea it was a movie until I picked up the book and it said it on the cover.

Anyway. Timeline was amazing, just like nearly every other Crichton book I’ve read. It’s a time-travel story, and involves much of what you’d expect from a Crichton-style time-travel novel. Trouble is, it also contains the one pitfall of Michael Crichton novels… it didn’t know how to end.

I don’t know why he had such an issue with ending novels, but Timeline is on the list. It was predictable in some ways and strange in others, and things seemed to wrap up far more quickly than the rest of the story warranted. But if you’re like me and you’ll read anything that has Crichton’s name on it, it’s worth a read. I’m not sorry I read it, and I may decide to read it again at a later date. Who knows.

2. Serenity Graphic Novels
I loved Firefly. I didn’t actually watch it when it was first on the air, but by the time I did watch it, I absolutely loved it. Couldn’t get enough. I have Firefly paraphernalia all over the place. Even my keyring has Serenity on it. So it wasn’t a jump for me to read the graphic novels, even though I’d never read a graphic novel before.

If you’re a fan of the series and you’re sad that they ended it, these are definitely worth checking out. Leaves on the Wind was slightly muddy, in my opinion, but No Power in the Verse was exactly what I was looking for in a graphic novel continuation of this beloved series (and No Power in the Verse makes more sense if you read Leaves on the Wind, so...).

Honestly, I’m not sure what took me so long in starting them. I should’ve been reading them from the start.

3. The Witcher
I talked myself into reading these, based on the fact that I have several friends who play the Witcher games, and I don’t play video games. I wanted to know what they were all talking about. So, books. I can read books.

In the beginning, I was completely hooked. Didn’t want to put them down. The Last Wish is the very start, and it’s just wonderfully written. From there though, it takes a turn. If you’re not used to reading books from other countries, you will get bored. I got bored, for a little while. And then I got annoyed. And confused. And weirded out.

But you know what? The series is really cool. I’ve enjoyed it. I only have one to go, and it’s the one book I’ve been both itching to read and nervous to pick up, because I don’t know how this guy is going to end a series of this nature.

If you’re a fan of fantasy (or of the Witcher games), I’d definitely give these a read.


But you know what? I really need to add some new books to my to-read shelf. I meant to do it before summer hit, but I just haven’t had enough time to look into new books.

So I need your help! What have you all been reading? What would you recommend for me to pick up this summer? Let me know in the comments, or send me a message on Facebook!


[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment