Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I read?


All month long, I’m reintroducing you all to none other than… me. Why? Because I realized that we have a lot of newcomers in TMBTC, and rather than making you all hunt for prior information that’s probably out of date, I thought I’d just share it all with you outright.

So, who is Rani Divine?

I’m a reader.


But I haven't always been, nor am I always now. 

If I’m being honest, reading has always been something I’ve had a tumultuous relationship with, primarily because I can’t ever decide if I prefer to be reading or to be writing, but I frequently struggle to do both at the same time. I’m currently working on that. It's a tedious process.

I’ve always really considered myself a reader though. I don’t think there was ever a time in my life when I didn’t think of myself as a reader, when I didn’t think of myself as someone who could sit down for hours with a good book in my hands, completely absorbed by the story. Because I always could be that person, even when I wasn’t being her at the moment.

I do, honestly, love reading. It’s just that most of the time, I love writing and editing more.


As for the things I like to read, I’m a little strange in that regard. Where most writers like to stick to the genre in which they write, I do the opposite. I very rarely read a book that’s in the genre I’m writing at the moment.

For instance, while I was writing my Earth-Space science fiction series (due out in a few years), I read a lot of fantasy and thrillers. And right now, while I’m finishing out that series and finishing out the Druid Novels, I’ve been reading mysteries and historical fiction.

I can’t really say why I don’t read in the genre I write, only that I write better and think more clearly when I read in an alternate genre.

See? It’s a very tumultuous relationship, I’m telling you.

But I do consider myself a reader, and an avid one. In my line of work, I don’t have any option but to be, do I?


I actually have a page on Goodreads, if you ever want to watch my slow progress through any given book. It’s been taking me a bit lately.

So that’s me.

I’m a reader. Even if I’m not always actually reading.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment