Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Don't Scream



Okay, for the first time in the series, we’re discussing a genre that I don’t read, that I actually don’t like to read, and that I only watch with my best friend because we can somehow make ourselves laugh through the experience. We’re a little weird like that.

Today’s genre is, however, one that I’ve tried to get into. I’ve picked up books in this genre, only to end up putting them back down after a few pages because I just can’t take it.

If you hadn’t figured it out already, today’s genre is…

Horror


Now, you’re probably wondering why I even picked this genre if I can’t stand it. Well, that’s one of the reasons why I picked it. I did this series to really make us think about genres in general (which is something a lot of us don’t do at all). That means I wanted to really look into genres that I don’t read much of, as well as those I deal with all the time. Thus, horror.

Okay, now that’s out of the way, why on earth do we enjoy it?


*muses*

*thinks*

*starts to say something, then stops*

*thinks some more*

Okay, I think I have something. People (see what I did there?) enjoy horror because, similar to thrillers, they like to get their hearts pounding. They like to feel that sensation of something startling them, something sneaking past their periphery and getting them before they knew what was coming. In all honesty, many people have a fascination with darkness and dark arts as well, which could also play into it.

What do we gain from it?


I honestly don’t know how to answer this question, but I’m going to try. Again, I don’t read this genre. I don’t understand it… so maybe I’ll go at it from that perspective.

I would guess that people gain a sense of accomplishment, that they made it through something so terrifying. I would also pose that some people learn what not to do in any given situation, based on mistakes the characters have made within the story. It might also be that people learn a little bit about themselves, what makes them tick, and what really makes them afraid. In that sense, it could also help people find a way to push past those fears. That would be a great thing to gain from it.

For me, horror isn’t a genre I’ll be picking up again anytime soon. But please, don’t let that dissuade you from writing it! It’s a very popular genre, and a lot of people very much enjoy it. And look, we did find something that people can gain from it, so it’s really not that bad after all.

*wink*

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment