Friday, January 27, 2017

Twelve



By now we know well that creatives tend toward the introverted side of things. We just do. It’s strange, sometimes, just how introverted we are. But sometimes that introvertedness can be our downfall, the thing that prevents us from doing what we should be doing. We talked about it a little bit on Wednesday, but it goes deeper than that, as well.

And that depth, my friends, is where my final suggestion comes in.

Go on an Adventure


Vacate your life, go somewhere, do something you wouldn’t normally do.

I know, it sounds terrifying, doesn’t it? I thought so too, until I did it. Last year, as most of you know, I got to go to Europe with my mother. It was my first trip out of the country, and it was hers too (unless you count Canada, but when you live in Minnesota it doesn’t really seem like another country).

It was a trip completely unlike anything I’d ever done before, full of new experiences that have honestly changed me. I’m better able to talk to people, to make myself do things I wouldn’t normally do.

But there’re a few big things that this can help with, when it comes to creativity.

When you go somewhere and do something new, you can easily get some new ideas for things your characters can do. Maybe you’ll see a new profession, or get a better idea of what it really is that your characters do for a living. Or perhaps you’ll find some new inspiration for your painting, your sculptures.

By going out like this, we get a better and firmer understanding of the world as a whole. It helps to understand what’s really going on in our characters’ minds. It helps us to really see and feel what our landscapes should look like, to truly understand the truths of texture. And it helps us to become newer and more interesting versions of ourselves. Strange as it may sound, it’s true.

Since we got back from Europe, I’ve felt more creative than ever. I have ideas crammed into my head, so many things I want to write about, paint, and draw. And I honestly feel that it’ll be the same for you, if you have your own adventure.

Even if it’s not going to Europe, even if it’s just going to a state you’ve never been to before, have yourself an adventure. We all need them, now and again.

We really do.

Stay tuned for next month’s topic, to be announced on Monday!

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment