Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sci-Fi, part 2



So Science Fiction is a genre for the geeks. We determined that on Monday. We’re all geeks here, nerds who make stuff up for a living. Fun, right?

But there are a few things that throw people off with sci-fi, especially when they’re first starting out. So here I have a list of the top three things you should never do with sci-fi, if only so your work doesn’t fail and it actually does make it to the editor.

The Don’ts


1. Don’t go in blind


First time science-fiction writers often have this problem. I did, in my first novel. Yup, my first was science-fiction. It was also never completed, because it was horrible. Trust me on that. I digress.

The thing with science-fiction is that you have to take the time to describe everything. Because we’re inventing so many new things, because we’re working within a realm that’s usually similar to our own but with massive technological changes, the reader needs to be able to see everything you’re giving them. Also, you need to be able to see it, because otherwise it gets really confusing later on down the line.

2. Don’t try too much


This is another mistake I made in my first novel. I tried to do far too many things, and none of them actually worked. So the book got scrapped before it was even halfway complete.

We need to set realistic standards for ourselves. Don’t try to write like Crichton if you don’t know as much about the topics you're covering. Don’t try to emulate someone you have nothing in common with. Write as much of what you know, make up what you need to along the way, and don’t try to make it so far "out there" that only you will ever be able to understand what’s going on.

3. Don’t force it


Oy, I made this mistake too, in that darned first novel. I pushed myself too hard, tried too hard to make the story deep science-fiction glory—and I was in no way ready to do that.

The point is, you don’t want to push yourself too far. True, you might have grown up watching anything and everything on the Syfy and Science channels, and you might be the next Crichton, but we can’t all start there. Start slow, ease yourself into it, and don’t force a story to go somewhere it doesn’t want to go.

Nothing kills creativity quite like that.

Friday, how to use science-fiction to your advantage.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment