Monday, May 23, 2016

On... what?



It’s the last week of our series, which means we only have two posts left! (Friday is again reserved for more info about Mavguard, since that’s been so popular as of late). And since it’s the last week, I want to focus on a phrase that I honestly do not understand. I’ve looked up its beginnings, its meanings, and I still don’t get it. Most of my friends laugh at the term, but I’ve heard it enough in popular culture that I thought it was worth bringing up.

On Fleek


What. The. Heck.

So I heard this one for the first time at some point late last year, and I’m pretty sure I was struck completely dumbfounded by it. It’s not even a word! What is fleek supposed to mean, anyway?

From what I’ve gathered, it’s a positive word. When something is on fleek, it’s on point, it’s good, it’s exactly as it was intended to be. And from my research, it all started with a video of a girl saying that her eyebrows were on fleek today.

I wonder if she knew how much she would affect the English language.

Here’s the thing:

It’s very obviously not an educated phrase. Personally, I prefer to keep my words on the educated side of English. I’m a learned person, I have a degree in English, and I know a lot of words. I write many of them, in any given day. That being the case, I prefer not to sound like I’m making words up as I go.

On fleek sounds like someone made it up. Probably because someone did.

My question to you, is how many of you actually use this phrase, and how many of you pay attention to what it means? Does it bother you that it doesn’t really have a meaning, that it’s a phrase coined by some random person on some random video, someone who thought their eyebrows looked great that day?

It bothers me. But I’m a wordsmith. This is what I do for a living, it’s the thing I feel the most connected to. I know words, and I know fleek isn’t one of them.

No apologies required. *wink*

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment