Friday, May 6, 2016

'Course

Okay. I've pretty much said this phrase through the entirety of my life, and it wasn't until recently that I realized how very strange and useless it really is.

Let's see if you agree. :)


Of Course



Of: belonging to, relating to, or connecting with (someone or something)

Course: the path or direction that something or someone moves along

(taken from www.M-W.com)


So, logically, of course would mean belonging to, relating to, or connecting with the path or direction that something or someone moves along.


How does that make sense, considering how it's generally used?

"Did you go to the store today?"
"Of course!"

What?!

In common American English these days, of course is a phrase that pretty much means a positive response of no real rhyme or reason. It's two words put together with the general intention of saying yes or good without actually saying either of those words.

How on earth this came to be, I have no idea.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not something that I'll be cutting from my everyday speech, but it is one that I highly recommend cutting out of your writing.

See, we only want to use meaningful words in writing. If it doesn't need to be there, then cut it. And from what we've just seen, of course does not ever need to be said. At least in this context.


There's also, however, this version:

"Of course, we could go to the store tomorrow."

And this version of of course is perfectly acceptable. It's not entirely necessary, no, but it's one that adds a smidge of flair to your dialogue. I wouldn't recommend using it anywhere else.


The next time you say of course, you're going to think about this. You will. Trust me.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment