Monday, September 7, 2015

Monster

Happy Labor Day everyone!

First things first... I promised you that there would be something fun coming up, and that time has come! Well... It's almost come.

This Friday, be sure to check back in for a special never-before-seen excerpt from one of my upcoming novels!

Which one, you ask?

Well, there's the thing. I haven't decided yet. So leave me a comment or send me a message on Facebook to let me know which of the following you'd like to see an excerpt from:

A. Telepathic (book II of the Advanced Saga)
B. Cedwig: People of the Vines (next to be released from the Druid Novels)
C. Adrastos (my latest endeavor into true sci-fi)

This Friday I'll post an excerpt from whichever novel you want to see most, so get your votes in before midnight MST this Thursday!


And now for the real reason we're all here....

#10: Monster



If you're a Peretti fan, you'll likely have read this book. It's not as popular as some of his others, but in my life it's been far more of an inspiration.

1. Monsters are real


The premise of the novel is simple: Big Foot is real. And it's taken captive a woman who was camping with her husband. Sure, we've all heard of stories like this one before, but Peretti somehow turned it into something new.

While the story is definitely about getting away from the creature, it's also about a hunt to find the victim before it's too late. We get both sides of the story, and we get to see and feel a lot more than I anticipated when I first picked up this gem back in high school.

2. Visual Effect


The story takes place in fall, and the whole way through I felt as though I could really see it. Nothing was hidden from my eyes -- something Peretti is very good at doing. If you're looking for an author who will help you work on your visual details, read him. He has a marvelous way of describing a setting in a non-boring and completely fascinating way that leaves you wanting nothing but more.

3. Character Development


... Of monsters. Didn't expect that one, did you?

Peretti does something in Monster, that, without giving the story away, is simply beautiful. He expands upon the creature to make you feel for it, to help you to understand it, in a way that's very far from the King Kong version. That story is cheesy. This story is moving.


Really, this book was one of many that pushed me into the realm of writing to begin with, and it's one that I keep going back to for inspiration.

That and that alone have made it #10 on my list.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment