Friday, September 18, 2015

Mars Bars

#6: The Martian, Andy Weir



Honestly, from the very beginning I knew there were only one or two ways that Andy Weir could've ended this story. We all know that. This guy is stranded on Mars, and either he's going to live or he's going to die. Either way, the story could've been crafted into something beautiful.

No, I'm not going to tell you which way it goes down.

What I will tell you is this:

1. Logged


The bulk of the story is written through the means of personal logs. Watney is alive on Mars, left behind by the rest of his team, and he's writing in the logs for anyone who might manage to find them. In the beginning he doesn't even think he's going to make it through this alive -- though he's determined to try.

The interesting part is that we get a unique glimpse into the psyche of a man on his own.

Really, that was why I picked up this book to begin with. I wanted to know how an astronaut would react when he found out he was the only man on Mars.

And boy did I get my answer.

2. Satisfaction


Never, I repeat never, have I read an ending so satisfactory.

Like I said, I'm not going to tell you what happens. But I will tell you that Weir crafted this story brilliantly. Even when I'd figured out what was going to happen, I couldn't figure out what was going to happen. Yes, I realize that doesn't make any sense.

But for a writer, that's one of the most satisfactory feelings in the world.

You fooled me, Weir, even though I knew your ending all along. It doesn't get much better than that.


As a side note, Weir also taught me how not to do a character -- because there's one in The Martian who simply makes no sense whatsoever. 


Who's read this one, and do you have any thought on the upcoming movie (which may have also been a part of why I read The Martian to begin with)?

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment