Monday, August 10, 2015

Drafted

How many drafts do I have to write? 

That's our question today. And it's a doozy. Since the questioner didn't specify, I'll give you an answer for each of the big three.


Drafted




1. Poems


If you're a poet, it's a little easier. You really only need one draft, if you know what you're doing. If you're newer, you'll want to do two drafts. One to get your ideas out, and a second to make sure your wording and flow match and are smooth (or choppy, if that's what you're going for, since it's poetry and you can really do whatever you want).

2. Short Stories


Short answer: 2.

Long answer: You need to have at least two, but I recommend four or five. This will ensure that you have all your ideas in the order you want them, and that everything is flowing smoothly. Writing fewer drafts means more chance that you've forgotten something, and more chance that your ideas aren't working as well as you thought. In a short story, everything needs to be tight, everything needs to make sense, and no excess should be allowed. Ever. Essentially, get everything out in one draft, cut 80% out in a second draft, add 20-30% more in a third draft, and cut another 10-15% out in a fourth draft.

It's sounds more confusing than it really is.

3. Novels


Short answer: Again, 2.

Long answer: I suggest treating it like a group of short stories. Treat every chapter like it's a short story, and edit it down in a similar way. Now, with novels I don't believe you need to cut as much -- but you should still cut off a lot of the trimmings.

Generally, I go through 2-3 edits on my novels. I spend two days or so on each chapter, cutting out what I know I don't need and adding in things that I want to make sure are solidified within the story.

It takes time, but if you put in the time, your readers will thank you.


[love]

{Rani}

No comments:

Post a Comment