Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Complicult

Last week we went over the differences between simple and easy. This week, as promised, we'll be going over their companion words, difficult and complex.

As I said last week, this is where simple and easy get much less confusing... But we'll have to start with some confusing bits.



As with simple and easy, difficult and complex get misused very frequently. Mostly because people don't use complex at all, even when this is the word they mean to be using.

You see, simple and complex are opposites. So are easy and difficult.

From what I've noticed, people tend to believe that since their definitions are similar, it's okay to flip them around and also say that simple and difficult are opposite, and that easy and complex are opposite. However, this is just not the case.

Why?

I'll tell you.

Things that are simple can also be difficult, and things that are easy can also be complex. To explain this, we'll have to bring in all the definitions (courtesy of Google)

  • Simple: 
Easily understood or done; presenting no complexity.
Composed of a single element, not compound.

  • Easy: 
Achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties

  • Complex: 
Consisting of many different and connected parts.

  • Difficult: 
Needing much effort or skill to accomplish, deal with, or understand.


See what I'm getting at?

The definition of simple has nothing to do with being difficult. Things that are difficult are often very simple, in fact. Let's go back to the loving your mother notion from last week. It's a simple concept: love your mother, no matter what. But when she does something you don't like, it becomes more difficult to follow the rule (i.e. it's no longer easy). No new factors were added, so it cannot be complex. It can only be difficult.

In the same way, things that are complex can be easy, because ease is not based off of complexity. In fact, it is generally based off skill. I'll use the example of writing a book. To me, this is easy. I do it all the time. It's a complex feat that comes second nature to me. Writing a book is not difficult for me.

Hopefully that clears up our definitions and helps you to know which word to use in which situation.

As for me, I feel a little brain dead just from writing it. 

As always, if you have any new requests, send me a message or drop a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment