Friday, August 15, 2014

Teary Eyed

This is probably one of my favorite writing quotes. It helps me keep my head in the game, especially toward the end of a book.



I know that a lot of people don't believe this, because many of us are so accustomed to heightened emotional scenes that they don't make us cry anymore, but I believe it's very, very true.

You see, I'm one of those people who doesn't cry easily. (I also don't laugh at writing easily, so if you write something hilarious and ask me to read it, I might not think it's funny--I just don't enjoy humorous writing).

I don't want to cry when I read books, so most of the time, I don't. I keep everything all bottled up inside and I ignore the fact that very emotional things are going on.

But. I almost always cry when I write the endings to my own stories.

It's almost the exact same feeling either way, that moment where everything has burned and the main characters have to pick themselves back up from the ashes, that gets me. It's pretty much the only thing that gets me (which is why I've never cried in the middle of a book: only at the ending).

What I do when I write is that I look for that same depth of emotion that I feel when I read my favorite books, and I squeeze it into my own characters. I dig a little deeper into them, pulling out things that I didn't even know they contained, and it makes me weep every time.

Even going back and reading them again makes me weep.

It makes my friends, my beta readers, weep.

And that's exactly what I was going for.


Don't forget to let me know what you'd like to see for my 100th!

http://ranidivine.blogspot.com/2014/08/eight-one.html

[love]

{RD}

p.s. Deanna Leah's second guest spot is finally set! Be sure to pop in on Friday, August 22 to see part two of her work, and don't forget to hop on over and give her a like on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/deannaleahwrites

No comments:

Post a Comment