Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tensed

The secret to choosing tense is to always choose past tense.

No, I'm kidding. I have a personal preference for past tense, because present tense is near impossible to maintain, but if you feel it suits your story, by all means, use present tense.

Choosing tense, especially when you just start out, can be a little tricky. I started in present, too, before I realized how fond I am of past...



There are two things you'll need to know and consider before you choose present tense:

  • Present tense is not believable in creative nonfiction. It makes you sound like you're making it up as you go. A lot of people (even college professors) will speak contrary to this, but in my research I've found this statement to be true. 
  • Present tense is not trusted by my generation. This is also one of those things that's easily contested, but in my research I've found that most people in my generation greatly dislike this tense. So if you're writing for us, use past.

Of course, there are a few other things you should know in order to make your decision...

  • In present tense, you will not be able to allow for passage of time (because doing so breaks tense). A lot of writers break this rule, but doing so makes it very difficult for readers to follow, so I don't suggest it.
  • In past tense, you're technically allowed to occasionally shift into present (i.e. He lifted his cup to his lips, taking a swig of the cool liquid - yes, that broke tense, and yes, that's allowed). 
  • Breaking tense in present tense is always frowned upon. I think that's because it's so difficult to hold, and for some reason people like to nitpick that which is tricky. 
  • If you're writing in present tense, you're in the minority. 
  • If you're writing in past, then, you're in the majority. 

Realistically, I can't tell you which tense to choose. Usually, the characters themselves will tell you. Start writing in one, and if it doesn't flow, switch it. That's the best advice I can give you here.

But whatever you do, don't choose your tense because it's what you're comfortable with.

Choose the tense that best suits the story, the one that will be easier for your characters to thrive in, and the better for your audience's understanding (see what I just did there?).

Above all:

Remember, you're not just writing for you anymore.

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment