Monday, June 9, 2014

One For Fun!

In trying to decide what to write today, I asked my friend. She jokingly replied, "I could care less."

And then I got an idea.

Here I'll examine "I could care less", "supposedly", and "past/passed" and see how well we all know our English.

(I'm no pro blogger, but that's hilarious!)
 

"I could care less."

"I couldn't care less."

Which one is correct?

People can be very opinionated about this particular phrase, and in all honesty, I'm no different. I have a specific way that I think it should be said, and oddly enough, I couldn't find a meme that agreed with me!

See, most people who are adamant about one of these are adamant that the correct version is "I could care less."

However, with the way I use this phrase, that's just not right.

See, if I could care less, that would mean that I care enough that there is possibility of less caring, should something change.

But if I couldn't care less, then there is no possible way that any less caring could come from me, therefore meaning that I do not care at all about the subject at hand.

Yes, I realize how convoluted that sounds. But that's the way I roll. ;-)


Next!



Supposedly.

Supposebly.

Which way do you pronounce it?

 The answer to this one is deceptively simple, and yet SO many people get it wrong. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Supposeb is not a word. Supposed, on the other hand is.

It's just that simple. Supposedly. ;-)


One More!



This one will actually be something helpful:

Passed or Past?

"The time past."

"I drove past the house."


Which one of those is wrong? (I almost want to not tell you and see how many of you actually know...)

This is one of my most hated word pairs, because I used to get it wrong almost half of the time. For a while there, I just put in whichever word and in the editing process I would ctrl+F every single past and passed and make sure they were right.

Tedious.

But I know it now!

Time is past, and can pass, but one can never pass time like a dish of gravy.

Past can be a adjective, noun, preposition, or adverb, but never a verb (for you people who really know your parts of speech).

Passed, on the other hand, is simply the past tense of the verb "to pass."

Sounds easy, right?

Yeah, it's not. I know. :-(


Okay, that was TONS of fun to write, and I'll have to start doing those more often...

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment