Thursday, November 1, 2018

A+D


Happy November, and welcome back to Too Many Books to Count! It’s finale day, and it also just so happens to be the inaugural day of NaNoWriMo, which means I expect you’ll all be hard at work filling your word quotas this month.

If you’re in the Albuquerque area though, and you need to do some reading (to get your mind off the writing), come check out the Albuquerque Museum Author Fair, this Saturday from 10AM-4PM! I’ll have copies of all my books, plus Mavguard and Letters from Hell, and I’d love to see each and every one of you!

For now, let’s get onto that finale.

All month, we’ve been talking about themes, myths, and legends that are done (and maybe nearly overdone) in fiction around the world—and, for some reason, that readers just can’t seem to get enough of. We’re talking about these topics and discussing what we can do to put our own spin on them, to make a story that’ll rattle the world.

And I’ve saved what I think is the best, for last.

#10: Angels and Demons


For once! This is something I’ve actually written! Yes, indeed, I wrote a story about the birth of demons. It’s still in my editing queue, behind a series I need to finish asap, but I’m hoping to have it released after the Druid Novels are all out. It’s one of my favorites, and my beta readers have all said it was one of their favorites as well.

And that’s why I wanted to talk about it!

Angels and demons are two things readers cannot get enough of, if only because of the sheer mass of religions which involve both angels and demons. True, Asian religions don’t always, but Christianity, Mormonism, Catholicism, Islam, and others all have both angels and demons in their belief system—which makes it something that people within those religions readily enjoy reading.

Why? Because there’s always that possibility that the story might be real, and that’s just fascinating.


It’s also why we should never stop writing stories in this theme. Because there will always be readers who love to read things in this vein, and probably a great many readers who only read things in this vein.

But it’s also something where we can have a lot of creativity, because, obviously, we can’t really say very much about angels or demons. As someone with beliefs firmly rooted in Christianity, I can tell you there’s not a whole lot written to tell us what angels look like. We know what they do, what they’re for, but we don’t know, really, who they are.

So it’s up to writers, to decide (for your story, anyway)! Which, let me tell you, is a great deal of fun. I highly recommend it.


That’s it for our series, and I sincerely hope that you enjoyed it! Now that NaNoWriMo has started, I hope I’ve given you some good ideas for stories to work on throughout this month, or maybe just helped to point you in the right direction when it came to choosing a theme for your novel.

Thank you all for reading! Check back in on Tuesday to see what we’ll be talking about through NaNoWriMonth!

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment