Saturday, September 1, 2018

LRR


It’s finale day! I sincerely hope that you’ve all enjoyed this month’s series, and that you’ve maybe learned a little bit more about writers in general, and how to be a friend to us. I know we can be something of a strange variety, but I promise we’re not always as crazy as we seem.

This month, in our determination to support our indie author friends, we’ve bought, read, and reviewed their books. We’ve told others about that book. We’ve refrained from telling our author friend about any errors we found in the book. We’ve encouraged them to keep writing, no matter what. And, on Tuesday, we started talking to them about their current projects, too.

So what else is there? What more could we possibly do, to support our author friends?

That’s easy.

#8. Lather, Rinse, Repeat


Yeah. Repeat the process for every book your friend puts out.

I know it’s a lot of effort. I know it’s a lot of time taken out of the way you usually live your life. I know that it can be a hassle, and that we’ve probably never asked you to do this for us. But isn’t that all the more reason for you to do it?

I love my friends. I try to support them in any way I can. Even if I’m not fond of the creative things they do, I try to show support in any way I can. Even if I don’t really like their writing, I still try to show that there are good things in their writing, and I do my best to keep up on their new releases.

That’s my challenge to you.

Buy your friend’s books. All of them.
I know it can be a lot of money in the long run, but isn’t your friend worth more to you than that?

Read your friend’s books. All of them.
I know it can take a lot of time, but isn’t your friend worth that extra time?

Review your friend’s books. All of them.
I know it can be a challenge to come up with something to say, but isn’t your friend worth that effort?

Don’t nitpick the errors. Any of them.
I know your instinct is to tell us when you’ve found something wrong in the book, but how would you feel, if someone did that to you?

Tell other people about the books. All of them.
I know, you don’t always want to talk about reading, but when it comes up in conversation, what harm would it do to mention your author friend?

Encourage your friend. All the time.
I know you know writers often struggle with depression, anxiety, fear of failure—wouldn’t you love to help your friend through that?

Talk to your friend about their writing. All of it.
I know it’s what we talk about all the time, but it’s our life. Don’t you want to hear about us, too?


That’s all it is. It’s being a friend.
And we’ll always be thankful to have you in our lives.

After all, for many writers, friendships are few and far between.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment