Tuesday, April 24, 2018

A sponge, is it?


We have, at last, reached the final week in our series about me. You’ve no idea how glad I am to see the back of this series. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s been fun to tell you all about me, but it’ll be nice to get back into the nitty-gritty of things, next month (speaking of which, I’ll be back at the RADblog again next month, with a nine-week series on character creation—don’t forget to stop in and check it out).

All month long, I’ve been reintroducing myself, specifically because we have so many newcomers to Too Many Books to Count, and I didn’t want anyone to feel left out. So if this is your first time, check out the rest of the posts from this month so you can get to know me a little bit better.

Who am I?

I am a learner


But I don’t mean that I’m in school all the time. Oh contraire! I graduated from college several years ago, with a degree in English, and I’ve never looked back. I don’t believe school is the only way to learn. No, no, no, learning happens every day, everywhere you go.

I’m the type of person who loves to learn. I relish sitting down at my computer and researching a new theme, especially when it even remotely relates to the story I’m currently working on. But I also like to research things about writing, which is how this blog actually came about. I like to watch people and listen to them, to learn from their experiences. And I like to know as much as I possibly can about writing, about readers and what they’re looking for, that I can’t help but share what I’ve learned with all of you.

I like documentaries, I like reading science books, I like researching historical topics that I might be able to use as inspiration for a novel or short story… I like doing anything that will expand my mind, make me think, and teach me to better understand the world around me.

And really, it’s a lot of fun.

I would honestly say that I’ve been this way since I was fairly young. I always liked to learn, and I didn’t always want to go about it by simply doing my schoolwork. And don’t get me wrong! I was homeschooled until college, and I usually did all my school for any given week on Mondays and Tuesdays, then took the rest of the week off to do whatever I wanted to do. I did my schoolwork, and I did it fast and well, but that wasn’t the only way I wanted to learn.

I’ve always liked to go out and learn, to listen to people telling their stories and talking about the things they’ve learned and come to understand, and I love asking questions. I love coming into my own understanding of any given thing.


Give it a try. Especially if you’re a writer, it’ll come in handy for your craft.

:)

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment