Thursday, March 29, 2018

I like what I do... usually.


It’s finale day!

I’m always a little bit sad when this day comes, because it’s always the end of a series that I’ve greatly enjoyed. It also usually means that I have to scramble for a new topic for the next month… which is exactly where I am now. (if you have any ideas, let me know! I love suggestions!)

I think, however, that for this series, I’ve saved the best for last.

Sometimes, I don’t like to tell people about my books.


Yep. I said it. Sometimes I don’t even want anyone to know that I’m a writer. Seriously. I don’t. There are many circumstances in which I won’t even tell anyone what I do for a living, simply because I’d rather talk about anything else.

There are days when, even as a writer who greatly loves what I do, I would rather sit in the background and be nothing more than another person in the room, another professional here to learn, another human here to enjoy the show.

You know what though? (I’m sure you do by now)

That’s completely okay.


We don’t have to be professional writers all the time. Even if that is our day job, even if that is the way we make our living, it doesn’t have to be the only thing that defines us. In fact, it shouldn’t be. Writing is what you do, it’s what you love and what you enjoy, but that doesn’t mean it’s the entirety of who you are.

See, I’m a writer. You knew that. I’m also an editor. I’m a daughter. I’m a sister. A friend. A Christian. I’m snarky. I’m silly. I’m happy. I laugh even when it’s inappropriate to do so, and I don’t know how to stop. I’m a volunteer, an employee, a person. Writer is the main thing I tell people I am, yes, but it’s not the only thing I am. It might be one of the the biggest parts of me, and the part people see the most, but it’s not the only part of me.

It shouldn’t be the only part of you, either. And you shouldn’t let it be.


So, on those days when you don’t want to tell people about your books, don’t. Leave it as something in the background, something you do, something you are, but not everything you are.

Sometimes, those times are the nicest of all, because in those times, you don’t have to be the writer, the thing everyone expects of you. You can just be you. And it’s pretty great to be yourself, no matter who or what you are.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment