Thursday, January 11, 2018

Write the whole thing first



I’m back! And on time! Be proud of me. Seriously. I have so much going on today it’s not even funny (I say that, and yet I try to always laugh through my longer and harder days…).

Today, I actually have something writing-related that I want to talk to you about. It’s something that I learned while releasing the Druid Novels, something I’ve now seen done by a lot of other authors, and something I really wanted to pass along. A piece of advice, if nothing else.

Write Your Series Before You Release It


Again, remember, it’s advice. You don’t have to listen to me. I suggest that you do, but you don’t have to.

See, it’s really annoying for readers, when authors take forever and a day to release the next book in the series. I’m actually one of those who will completely give up on the series if it takes the author more than two years to get the next book out. I will. I have no problem with that. I have a lot of other books in my to-read stack, and I don't have time for that. But, I also don’t want that to happen to any of you.

The best way to avoid it?


Write the whole series before you start releasing it. That way, you already have the books done before you start getting them out to the public, and there won’t be any fear of taking too long to get the next book on the market.

I’m not saying that you have to have all your books edited before you start releasing (though honestly, I think that’s sometimes a really good idea as well), I’m just saying that you should have them finished or at the very least mapped out before you start releasing.

I’ll be honest with you again here, guys. I didn’t have the whole Druid Novel series figured out when I started releasing. I actually just finished writing it last year. And I struggled through it, because the writing between all six books had to be at least semi uniform, and it had to read like they were the same story, even though each book is a standalone novel (except the last one). I wish that I’d written the whole thing before I started releasing it. I really do. Actually, right now, I wish I’d written the whole thing and edited it before I started releasing it. You have no idea how much easier that would’ve made my life. But I didn’t… and so now I’m passing on what I’ve learned, to you.

Write the whole series, or at the very least have a good idea of where you want the whole thing to go, before you publish the first book.


It’ll make things easier on your readers, because they won’t have to wonder when the next book will hit shelves, and it’ll make it easier on you—because you won’t have to stress over how the rest of the series is going to go, and whether everything’s going to come together the way you want it to.

It’ll already be done, the weight will be off your shoulders, and you can focus on getting the books out and giving them all the attention they need once they hit the shelves.

Trust me. Seriously.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment