Tuesday, December 5, 2017

It's a Treat



Hey guys! It’s December! My favorite month of the year, despite how insanely busy it is. And I do mean insane. Sheesh. It’s just crazy, how much goes on this month, and I’m only five days in. How does this happen?

I love it, anyway.

So for this month, as per usual, I wanted to do something a little more fun. And since it’s the season of giving, it seemed appropriate to stay in that theme… giving. Treating… but you know what we often forget to do this month, in the season of giving?

We forget to treat ourselves.

This month, I’m talking about five things you can do to treat yourself and your writing, this holiday season.

Number one:

People Watching Day


This is my favorite day of any given month, I swear. I just so enjoy people watching. It’s a great way to expand my craft, to get better at dialogue, to create more versatile and unique characters that are more like real people.

And that’s what I suggest you do, as well.

Take a day for yourself. Go out, get some air, maybe go do something you never do, maybe just go to the mall and sit on a bench—whatever it is, go somewhere and watch the people. Take notes, whether it be on paper, in your phone, or just in your head. Watch them, take note of the interesting things they do, the nice things they do, kind things, generous things, and then take note of the other stuff. Notice the rude people, watch the annoyed ones, look at them and think of them as characters in your book. Try to understand them.

It’s an exercise in the things we need to know, in order to write solid and interesting characters. Doing this is a way to grow yourself as a writer, and a way to treat yourself by getting out of the house. And it's also a way to remind yourself that story is out there, everywhere. Even in the busiest time of year, there's story to be found in everything.

Go get a coffee (or tea, if you’re like me), bundle up (if it’s cold where you are), and go watch the people. See what they’re up to. Take notes. Write down what you think you might possibly (or even remotely) be able to use for a character in a story you’re writing, and don’t forget it.


In fact, this is something I highly recommend doing once or twice a month. Remember earlier, when I mentioned people watching day? I actually do this, usually once a month. Even if it’s only taking an hour and sitting on a bench, watching and listening to the people. I make sure I do it. I do my research.

You should too. It’s a treat.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment