Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A-maze-ing



Hi, everyone!

First thing’s first, I’ve decided that today’s post will be the last of the series for the month. Partially because I hadn’t determined my last topic, but mostly because I’m going to be at Maranatha Writers Conference! If you’ll recall, I’ve never been to a writer’s conference before, so I’m hoping I’ll get a lot out of it and have a lot of fun along the way.

Anyway, I’ll be off the grid for a short while, but when I come back next week, I’ll tell you all about the conference before we jump into the next series.

Thank you all so much for your understanding! I’m not leaving you for long, don’t worry.


For now, we’ve reached the final topic of September, and it’s a topic I’ve been holding off on for a while, mostly because I know how much short fiction is out there these days.

Robin Parrish – The Corridor


Like I said, there’s a plethora of short fiction out there these days. In fact, the majority of what you’ll find online leans toward short fiction (looking at you, Kindle book writers). But there’s something to be said for a novella that’s actually satisfying, one that you actually want to read all the way to the end and aren’t disappointed by when you get there.

The Corridor is one of those. I’ll admit though, I really enjoy Parrish’s books, so I’d had my eye on this one for quite a while before I finally picked it up. (there’s also something to be said for a YA writer who’s able to hold my attention consistently, like that)

There’s this phenomena occurring lately, of writers pumping out novella after novella without really being edited (we’ve discussed that before, I believe), so when I come across a short fiction book that I actually enjoy, I want to shout it to the world.

The Corridor is about a boy who wakes up in a maze, with multiple levels that try to kill him along the way. There’s a voice in his head, telling him what to do and where to go, but for the most part, he’s on his own. He has to find his way to the end of the maze before the corridor kills him—or is he already dead?

It’s really quite fascinating, and honestly it sounded like one of those stories where you’d get to the end and be disappointed by what’s left there. The Corridor wasn’t like that.

If you’re a short fiction suspense writer, this is definitely a book you need to pick up. Parrish expertly creates young characters that feel as real as could be, and at weaving a suspenseful story that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I finished The Corridor in a day, if that tells you anything.


The thing is, we’re all so numb and accustomed to mundane short fiction that we probably don’t even realize what we’re reading isn’t all that good. Trust me, I’ve read a lot of short fiction. I know how hard it is to find something that I, as an editor, consider to be a good story.

If you’re a short fiction writer, do yourself a favor and pick this book up.

It might not be one you’ve heard of before, it might be a theme that makes you a little uncomfortable by the time you get in there, but it’ll all be worth it by the time you reach the end.

And if you’re not a short fiction writer, you should also pick this book up.

Why? Because we need to keep in mind how many shorter stories are wound within the big picture of our novel. That’s why I read so much short fiction to begin with.

The Corridor is a reminder that you can have a complete and satisfying story contained within a few pages—and that’s what makes it an amazing read, for fiction writers all around.


Seriously. Go pick up a copy. It’s not even expensive.

Soapbox moment: Also, if you still think $20 is expensive for a book, you’d better check yourself. How much do you pay yourself for the hours you spent writing your book, hm? Because yes, you should be compensated for that time. Someone put in a lot of time and effort to write that book, and they deserve to be paid for it.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment