Friday, May 26, 2017

Ad



As the week comes to a close, I have a topic that’s maybe not so obvious to you, or maybe so obvious that you didn’t even think of it. Which is why I added it to the list, because a lot of people seem to be struggling with knowing exactly what to do with them lately, and I thought we could all use a little mini discussion on the subject.

Why do we need…

Adjectives/Adverbs?


Should be pretty obvious, right? It’s so we can more adequately describe a situation or a thing, an action or an object. And they’re extremely important. But with the onslaught of the “Show, Don’t Tell” movement, many writers (and even readers) have gotten a little confused on what we should be looking for, when it comes to these descriptors.  

From the point of view of a reader…


I like detail. We’ve been over that before, back in our first week, if I’m not mistaken. But that detail comes through words like these, adjectives and adverbs. They’re ones that a lot of writers have taken to cutting out of their writing, to the point that I sometimes have to make up what a thing looks like, what it feels like, how it sounds… and I don’t want to have to do that. People will tell you that I like to do a lot of that myself, as a reader, but it’s not true. I want you to tell me what your world is like, and I want to experience it. That requires words like these.

From the point of view of a writer…


I’m a descriptor fanatic. I use too many of them, in my opinion. I’m working on that. Just like the reader version of me, I like to show a lot of detail in my writing. Readers want to know what my world looks like? Well, I’ll tell them! I like to string a few adjectives together, or give an adverb here or there to tell you exactly how something is playing out. In my opinion, it gives a better feel for the story as a whole, and for what’s going on. I like them. Please don’t cut them all out.

From the point of view of an editor…


I’m sure you’ve all heard of the “Show, Don’t Tell” movement, so I won’t bother to explain it. But somewhere along the way, everyone got confused on what that meant. I’ve seen it both ways, that showing means to use all the descriptive words, and that telling means to use the descriptive words. Well, here’s the thing. Throw that whole “Show, Don’t Tell” crap out the window and write the way you want to write. No, I take that back. Write what you want to read. Chances are, that’s a pretty interesting story, and a pretty interesting way to write. Some of you, I’ll ask to add more description. Others, I’ll tell to cut it. But please, whatever you do, don’t cut them all out. Don’t limit your descriptions because you’re confused about this movement. That, to me, is a writing sin. Don’t commit it, and I won’t have to scold you when you send me your work. Not that I would scold you anyway, but I would sit you down (over a cup of tea, perhaps) and explain why you need to work on this.

The moral of this story? It’s not a bad thing, to describe what you’re talking about.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone! I'll be back on Monday with another post!

[love]

{RD}

No comments:

Post a Comment