Friday, January 6, 2017

Three



Hey-O! This month we’re talking about the creativity-zapping month of January, and ways to keep those creative juices flowing all throughout the year. You can check out my first two pointers from Monday and Wednesday if you haven’t yet, but today we’re talking about a new one I’ve gotten into in the last year.

I know that this is one I’ve been talking about a lot lately, but that should show you just how important it is, and how helpful I’ve found it to be in the last year or so. It’s really helped me in the effort to keep my head clearer in the midst of vast amounts of work and varying levels of stress, and I believe it can do the same for you, if you'll let it. 

New Forms of Creativity


Yeah, that’s right, I mean you should be exploring multiple outlets for your creative juices.

If you’re an artist, you might be having trouble creating your art this month. I know I've run into that problem not infrequently in January. So instead of doing what you normally do, maybe you should try a different medium for a while. It’ll get you out of your box and help you get some new juices flowing.

That’s what I’ve been doing, this past year.

Primarily, I consider myself a writer. That should be obvious to all of you by now, even if you’ve only been here a short while. But in 2016 I took up drawing. I try to spend at least an hour or so every week on either drawing or painting, even if it’s only on my tablet or in a coloring book. Yes, I count that. It uses creativity, doesn’t it?

But do you know what I found, when I started drawing?

I found that writing came more easily. I had more ideas, when I sat down to write. It became simpler for me to start putting words down on a page, because I’d thought through them already while I was drawing (even though I didn’t realize I’d done it). I found myself able to stare at a screen for a longer period of time, to write more words in a single sitting than I’d done in the past.

How cool is that?

And I honestly believe that it’ll be the same for you, if you make time for a new creative outlet. Try it out. Even if all that entails is buying a coloring book and some pencils, try it. It works for me, and I believe it’ll work for you. And if you’re really serious, go all out with it. Artists, start writing. Poets, start painting. Writers, start sculpting. Do something different.

Who knows—you might end up finding a new passion.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment