Thursday, July 7, 2016

Simplicity.



Should Christians drink? Should they curse? 


Let me start this one by saying that there are a lot of different kinds of Christians. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of different Christian belief systems, people who profess to believe but don’t follow, and those like me, who are devoted to following the Word of God alone. I don’t buy into theologies and philosophies, I only follow the Word.

This one is one of those that sparks a lot of debates between Christian people. Some of us say that it’s okay to curse, others say it’s not. Some declare that alcohol is of the devil, while others say it’s fine to drink in moderation. Many of them on all sides use the Bible as their code.

For me, it’s as simple as this:

Cursing:


The Bible makes it very clear that there’s a distinct difference between blessing and cursing. Cursing is something that is reserved for very specific circumstances, for times when it’s actually deserved, usually in reference to the devil himself.

With that in mind, I cannot convince myself to curse. I just can’t. There was a time, in the past, where I didn’t mind it. Now, with the understanding and wisdom I’ve gained over the years, it feels wrong. It feels like a betrayal of everything my Lord stands for.

The Bible says that we’re supposed to be a light in the world. We’re supposed to be different. And if we’re cursing, then we’re blending in. I don’t like that.

Drinking:


As per usual, I use the Bible as my guidepost. It’s very clear on what it says, in that we should not be drunk. Now, as the English connoisseur I am, I can tell you that there’s a very distinct different between drinking and being drunk.

Drinking can be just one glass of wine, which is actually quite good for your heart. It can be a casual thing, that never in any way leads to being drunk. And really, Jesus’ first miracle was to change water into wine—and the guests said it was the best wine of the day. That can’t have been nonalcoholic.

Trouble is, there are a lot of people out there who don’t understand this point of view.  They focus on the negatives of alcohol, the bad that it can do.

So I’ll say this: everything is inherently null. It’s people that decide whether things are used for good or for evil. Words are different, because they hold their own meanings, but things have no capacity for good or evil on their own. That’s left to us.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment