Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Named.


God has a lot of names. I’m sure you know that. And I’m not talking about this whole “we all serve the same god” thing, because I do not believe in that. I’m talking about my God, the God of Abraham and Isaac, of the Bible. He has a lot of names.

But they all start with one, the tetragrammaton – YHWH, Jehovah, Yahweh

The tetragrammaton is the Hebrew name of God. See, there was so much respect for God that they didn’t even say His name. We don’t know if Yahweh or Jehovah is how it’s supposed to be said, but those are our best guesses. Really, He is YHWH, the great I Am. 

But that’s not His only name.

He is…

Avi – Father
El-Shaddai – God Almighty
El-Elyon – God most high
El-Gibhor – Mighty God
El-Olam – God everlasting
El-Roi – The God who sees
El-Deah – God of knowledge
El-Hashamayim – God of heaven
The Alpha and the Omega – the beginning and the end
Jehovah Rapha – Our Healer
Jehovah Nissi – Our Victory
Jehovah Jirah – Our Provider
Jehovah Shalom – Our Peace (nothing missing, nothing broken)
Jehovah Rohi – Our Shepherd
Jehovah Shamma – Ever-present
Jehovah Tsidkenu – Our Righteousness

He is all of those things, and more. I came nowhere near listing all His names. 

The point of His names is that no single one can define Him. He’s all of them, at every moment. And He never goes against them. That means He’s never weak, He never falls, He is forever, He knows and sees all, He is both beginning and end, He is forever the God of heaven, forever our healer, our victory, our provider, our peace, He’s our shepherd, the ever-present Almighty one, our righteousness, and so much more. I couldn’t list all His names in this post. I couldn’t. There’s too many, and the list could’ve gone on forever. All goodness is wrapped up in Him, and He has a name for every bit of it. Whatever you need, right now, He has a name for that.

That’s why it’s important to know that He’s not just God, not just YHWH. He’s El-Shaddai, Jehovah Rapha, all of them. He’s perfect in His goodness and in His love.

That’s why I call Him by many names. Because He’s all of them, all at once, for me. And I love Him.

[love]

{Rani D.}

No comments:

Post a Comment