Sunday, July 3, 2016

Faith



What is a Christian?

That’s a common question, really. In this day and age there are so many factions of Christianity that when someone says they’re a Christian, no one really knows what they mean. So this month, I’m taking the time to tell you a little bit about what I believe. I’m a Christian, and for me, I mean it in the most literal sense. See, Christian means little Christ, and that is what I ascribe to the most. I am a little Christ, I imitate Him in my life, and I aspire to be as He is. Yes, is. Not was.

So, what is a Christian?

Well, that question isn’t so easy to answer. I can’t speak for everyone, I can’t tell you what the faith means to every single person who holds it, but I can tell you what it means for me.

It means I have faith.
It means I know love, and that I love.
It means that I follow the Word of God, and that I believe the Bible is true in its entirety.
It means that I believe Jesus is the Son of God, that He died, and that He resurrected.
It means I believe that Jesus is even now in heaven, interceding for me, for you.
It means that I believe in forgiveness, in salvation. 

For many people, that may seem foolish. People these days tend to think that if someone thinks differently from them, they can’t like each other. If you ask me, that’s not the case.

There are things some of you do, that I don’t agree with. But I will not condemn you for them. I was not given the right to judge. I was, however, given a commandment to love. So, even though I may not agree with you, I love you.

Maybe that doesn’t make sense, but that’s the way it works. I don’t have to agree with you to love you. I don’t have to like what you’re doing or approve of the way you live your life, in order for me to love you, to desire to help you get up if you’ve fallen or cheer you on when you’re completing your goal.

To me, in a nutshell, Christianity is this: love.

It’s following Jesus, it’s believing in Him, carrying out His Word, and loving like He loved. It's accepting Him into your heart and becoming a child of God.

Christians, real, Bible believing Christians, love. No matter the circumstances, no matter what’s going on around us, we love. Because when people are filled with love, there is light and life in the world. When people are filled with hate, there is only darkness.

I’m certain every one of you have experienced enough of that to know the truth of it.

So now, when I say I love you, you have a better idea what I mean. I love you. I cherish you. Even if I don’t know you. Because that is the heart of Christ, the heart that is in me.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment