Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Closed.



Are Christians closed-minded? 


I feel like this is a trick question. But really, everyone calls everyone else closed-minded these days, and I don’t get it. Two people disagree about something, and therefore one or both of them must be closed-minded. Oy.

But to get back on track, there’s a difference between being closed-minded and being devoted to something or someone. Being closed-minded is when you refuse to think a different point of view for no apparent reason, other than the fact that you’re set in your ways. Being devoted, in this case, means loving God so much that I refuse to step out of His path.

Yeah, to some people that’ll mean the same thing, that I’m closed-minded, but I have a faith and I follow it, because I love God with all my heart. I can’t go against Him, because the whole of me is devoted to Him.

Maybe for some of you that still doesn’t make sense, so I’ll break it down like this:

The Bible says to honor your parents.

It’s one of the ten commandments, and I’ll assume most of you are familiar with what those are, at the very least.

But to me, that commandment means that everyone should honor their parents, no matter what their parents might have done or might be doing right now. No matter what, children are to respect and honor their parents.

However, some people will say that’s closed-minded of me. They’ll say that their parents hurt them, that they’ve suffered at the hands of their father and mother, so how could they possibly honor them? They’ll say I’m an idiot and should think about things like that before I say “honor your parents.”

From my point of view, however, I don’t have a choice in the matter. I happen to have amazing parents, but no matter what, even we go back in time to when I was thirteen and everyone in the world annoyed me, I still had to honor them.

Why?

Because Yahweh told me to, and I am devoted to him.

So no, in my eyes I’m not closed-minded. I’m devoted to my faith, to a relationship with the Almighty God. And if that means I don’t fit into certain crowds, then so be it. I’d rather follow Him than walk away from truth, peace, and utmost joy.

What do you guys think of this whole open and closed minded craze sweeping the States these days? Is it worth it to you, or should we all learn to grow a spine? I’ve heard arguments for both, and I leave the floor open for you.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment