Monday, May 9, 2016

Shipping

It's Monday!

Thank you to everyone who came out to Page 1 Bookstore on Saturday to support local authors and small presses! It was great to meet all of you, and I look forward to doing it all over again in June!

And I hope all you mother's out there had a fabulous weekend, and that your kiddos treated you to something special. This year, I got to give out all my regards in person, and it was lovely to do so. 

For today, however, it's time to discuss a word that I greatly dislike, and one that I believe should be changed back to its original meaning and kept that way for the rest of eternity:

Shipping


Recently, as in a few months ago, one of my friends informed me that she was shipping me and this guy at our church. It took me a while to figure out what she meant. He and I were going for a friendly lunch and she wouldn't stop talking about how much she shipped the two of us.

Apparently, that meant she thought we should be in a relationship.

How and why this phenomena of shipping happened apparently relates to fans of The X-Files's main characters, and how many fans wanted the two of them to be a couple. I'm honestly not sure how that developed into a full-blown assault on the word ship, but I can tell you that I really want it to stop.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff, but it doesn't even make sense to me. Why can't we stick we the old "I think you two are cute together" line? It's so much better! It actually makes sense, it doesn't confuse half the population, and it doesn't mar the good name of shipping.

Just out of curiosity, I took a mini poll of my friends to find out how many of us had ever heard the term and how many used it, and it seems it's mostly the younger generation. The thing that gets to me is that we should be the ones teaching the younger gens how to use English properly. I know the language is support to grow and change, but still! I just can't bear this one. I can't. It's as bad as people saying they can't make an umlaut so instead of writing uber they go with oober. That just looks like they're goobers.

Don't judge me. :-P

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment