Friday, April 8, 2016

Oh, so many writers are...

Hellooooo Friday!

Tomorrow, I'll be in Gallup, NM for their Author Festival at the Public Library! Tonight, I'll be going to bed early. And right now, I'm celebrating the fact that so many of you have already purchased your copies of Cedwig!

But also right now, I'm thinking about this one near fact about writers:


Writers are... Procrastinators



I'll admit it, a lot of us are. It's something many writers struggle against, because there are a lot of times when we don't feel like writing or when we have very few ideas about which to write. Or sometimes we're just not in the zone, and so we do anything but write, and end up wasting a grand amount of time reorganizing our already perfectly organized desks, or choosing a new font even though we all know we're going to end up back in times new roman by the time the manuscript goes anywhere.

But I will not admit that all of us are procrastinators.

Some of us, like myself, have to get things done as soon as possible.

That's just the way we are.

I'll use myself as an example.

Throughout my life, up until college, I was homeschooled. A lot of the time, that meant I had to be the one to push myself to get my work done. And somewhere along the line, I discovered that if I did all my school for the week on Mondays and Tuesdays, I had Wednesday through Friday to do whatever I wanted to do. Almost a whole week of Saturdays.

From then on, I never could sit still long enough to be a procrastinator. Even in college, I always had to get everything done as early as possible. I don't even know how many teachers I utterly shocked by how early in the semester I began my work on term papers. It was a lot.

And even now, in my adult career, I work early. I write as soon as I have the idea, I read as soon as I have the time, and I get my assignments done as soon as they're given to me.

Simply put, I can't procrastinate. It bothers me, after a life of not doing it.

But I also know, very well, that the vast majority of my writer friends are rabid procrastinators — to the point that some of them have been known to get upset with me, for getting my stuff done when I said I would, leaving them falling behind.

So it's a semi-fact, this one. A lot of writers are procrastinators. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. But some of us, like myself, are not. We get our work done, when we mean to.

Honestly though, I think we're few and far between.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment