Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Medium

Well, Wednesday is here again, and today I have a really fun topic for you. It's something I've heard from a few different people, and actually something I've joked about with my friends, here and there.

And I was very happy when one of you suggested it as a topic, because this is amazing.


Writers... Know the Future.



Okay, first off, I'm trying really hard not to laugh. I'm really not sure where this originated, nor am I certain why someone brought it up as a topic for this series, but I'm going to take it and roll with it.

My friends have joked, in the past, that I can see the future. They do this because I watch everything. Yeah, everything. I know my friends well enough to make a decent guess as to what they're going to say, what they'll do in certain situations, and what might happen in the future.

But that's all it is: a guess.

We laugh because we know it's not true. I'm wrong about half of the time, and I'd take a gander to say almost anyone could meet those odds.

Thing is, in a way, it's true. We know the future, sort of, because we know what makes a good story and what makes a bad one. We know that things in good stories are not often things that would happen in real life, and we understand that life and story are two different things.

So, we have a sort of foresight. But it's the type that anyone could develop, with time and patience.

We know the future in that we know the many possible routes it could take, and we know which ones are more likely to come to pass — all because of people's love of story. And yes, everyone loves story. You don't have to admit it, for it to be true. People love story, and they thrive on it. So we use that to get a better picture of what might be going on around us.

That's the best I can really do with this topic, because I'm still trying not to laugh at this notion.

Nobody knows the future, save One.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment