Friday, March 25, 2016

Giants

It's Friday. *breaths sigh of relief*

That means I can take a break for a little while, which is really what I needed.


But it also means that it's time to tell you really, why it is that I so greatly enjoy the expansiveness of novels.


Biggy



Novels are big. Short stories are little. Obvious, right?

The thing that I really like with novels, the thing that draws me back to them time and time again, is their bigness. Their size means I can do things with them, I can take their characters to more places and introduce them to more interesting things. I can include extensive backstories, I can write long scenes of descriptive prose that will set the tone for future scenes. I even get to create new beings, species that would take more than 5000 words to describe in detail.

I like long books. I always have. If a book is too short, I'll have trouble reading it. That's why I write long fiction, with lots of words and extensive amounts of detail. I write exactly what I want to read: long fiction.

If I wasn't doing that, I wouldn't be being true to myself.

So although short stories teach me to stay within parameters, to keep things neat and concise, novels get to be dirty and gritty. They can take more excess words, in some cases, and take them well. They allow for exploration, they accept a few plot holes, and they engage in greater terms with the reader.

That, my friends, is why I will never stop writing books.

They're my passion, even more so than short stories.

And they're great fun, too. (it helps)


[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment