Monday, March 14, 2016

Dear introverts,

Happy Monday to you! And it is a very happy Monday, because in case you didn't see, the new release date of Cedwig has been announced!

Come April 5th, you can all have copies of my book in your hands!

...And also copies of the new edition of Mavguard, which also contains one of my short stories, Rat Pack.

I'm sooo excited to get to share this book with you, and THRILLED that it's not too far behind schedule! Check back in for more updates, as I'll keep releasing them as the date gets closer!


But for today, I've a letter for all the introverts out there...


Dear Introverted Writers,


I know what it's like to be one of you. I've been one of you, for the better part of my life. I haven't liked the spotlight, haven't liked for people to crowd around me or speak to me for long periods of time, and been utterly drained at even the idea of going out on a Friday night.

I've struggled to promote myself, because I don't like to be pushy.

I've had issues presenting my work to strangers, because I don't want to seem off-putting.

I've slid into the background at many an event, hoping not to be seen.

I've come home at the end of a long day and refused to even write, because that would mean being with the people in my head, and I've already been around too many people today.

But you know what? I've taught myself to grow out of those things. I've pushed myself to be better at promoting my books, to present my work to people I've never met before, to be in the spotlight at events and spend as much free time as I can working on my novels.

And you know how I did it?

I acknowledged the fact that I am introverted, or tend to have introverted tendencies, and that I needed to be an extrovert if I was going to get anywhere with promoting myself.

Extroverts push people, they excite people, they get them interested.

Introverts relax people, dull the moment, and calm people down.

Both qualities are necessary to be a good writer, an author who can promote themselves and write amazing work, and both qualities are attainable — even for you.

I know it's hard, I know sometimes you just want to sit down and cry, and you know what? That's okay. It's okay to let out a good cry after a long and exhausting event. It's all right to avoid people after you've been out all day promoting your book. Take some you time, after you've done what needs to be done for your work.

You deserve it. You've got this.

I believe in you.

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment