Monday, March 7, 2016

Dear Grammar Nazis,



A note to all the grammar Nazis,


I see you, out there. I’ve even been one of you, for a time. And yes, I know what it feels like to see a blatantly obvious typographical error on your computer screen. But I’ve also learned that there are things more worth my time than stressing over grammar and shouting at people to correct their typos.

See, I also know that you have typos too. I know this because everyone has them. It is impossible to have never made a typographical error in all your typing days. Literally impossible. And I mean literally in the literal sense, not in the figurative.

The thing is, we all do it. We all have typos. We all have those days where we didn’t properly proofread and we ended up with a typo in our Facebook or Twitter post.

So what’s the point in pointing it out? Are you just trying to be rude, or are you honestly trying to help people learn better English? For most of you, it’s the former. I’ve seen the way you post about typographical errors, and I’ve felt the sting of your remarks against my own work. I’ve shouted those same words at other people, and I’ve felt pangs of guilt in my heart, because I know how it feels to receive them.

But maybe you’ve heard all these arguments before, and you still don’t care. Maybe English is the only thing you have, and it really bothers you when other people post errors online or publish them in books or magazines.

I’m here to tell you, once again, that no one is perfect. Yes, there are typos in my books. I’ve found them and facepalmed. But I have never gone on a rampage when I found a typo in someone else’s book. In fact, I’ve simply chuckled quietly and moved on.

Because, you know what? The story is more important than the words. The person is more important than the typo. The accomplishment is more important than the error.


So really, I’m here to ask you one simple question:

If it were you, if you published something, posted something online, that had an error, how would you want people to point it out?


Would you have someone hurl the correct answer in your face, and shame you as though you were a child who is only now learning English? Or would you have them come to you quietly and say, “Hey, I noticed you have a typo here. It’s this. I just wanted to let you know”?


I think we all know the answer.


I’m not here to be mean to you, or to rage at you for raging at other people. I’m here, writing this, to ask you to stop. Please. What you’re doing is not helpful, but hurtful. If you wouldn’t want people to shout at you, then perhaps you shouldn’t be shouting at them.

But that’s just my two cents.


“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”


Don’t be a Nazi. That word has never meant anything good.


[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment