Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Joe

Okay, really, it's February? At least that means we're that much closer to the Cedwig release! What did you guys think of the excerpt on Monday?


Before I digress too far...

All month long, we're going to be delving a little deeper into the essence of character. It's something we've talked about before, but it's been a while so I thought we'd take another glimpse. Plus I feel like I learned some new things last year, that I can now share with all of you. :-D


This week, it's all about protagonists.


Protagonists, Part One: The Joe




He's our favorite main character, our favorite sort of protagonist, because he's just like you and me. He's relatable, he's fun, and he's likable, because he's just like you and me.

But how on earth do we go about writing that, and doing it successfully?


1. Write what you know


Everybody knows this one, I know. We're supposed to write what we know, because we'll be the best at writing things that we fully understand and have a grasp on. But in the case of characters, I take this to mean that we should not only write what we know, but write who we know.

You know that one friend who's supremely likable and everyone gets along with them? How about the guy that hangs out in the background and says next to nothing to anyone? Or, how about the girl who likes to stay in the spotlight at all times? Maybe the lady who owns her own company?

Yeah, I'm sure you know a few people like that. And because you know people like that, I'm also sure that you can write them.

See, it's a lot easier to create a character who's based off someone you know. So start out by basing your average Joe off someone you know, someone who is the average Joe, someone you think would make a good protagonist in a story.

It's also a good way to get yourself out more, because if you have questions for your character you might have to stalk your friend. *wink wink*

2. Write what you like


Especially for protagonists, I find that it's better not to write annoying people. So don't write about that friend who won't shut up no matter how many social cues you give them that you don't care what they're saying. Write the person who fades into the background or the person who skillfully works the room, but don't write the guy who walks into the room smelling BO and talking like a fool.

At least, don't start out that way. I'm not saying you can never have those kinds of protagonists, I'm just saying for starting out and getting reader's attention, it'll be better to start out with people that everybody seems to like.

But really, you should be writing people you like.

I do this by writing about women who I consider to be real women -- women who do what needs to be done, no matter the odds against them. Women who fight for what they believe in. Why? Because that's me. I'm a woman, and that's how I am. So I write characters who are a little like me, because hey, I know me.


I find that it works very well, and I've gotten amazing reviews based on my characters alone.


Try it out, and let me know how you do!

[love]

{Rani Divine}

No comments:

Post a Comment